Footscray Technical College was established in 1958, when Footscray Technical School was renamed in line with Education Department reforms to technical schools. At this time, the Education Department created hierarchies of technical schools within designated regions. Footscray Technical College was designated as a 'feeder' school, meaning all technical schools in the region sent their senior students to FTC, and looked to the College for guidance and leadership.
Although the College continued with a focus on engineering and trades, courses were expanded in areas such as management and commerce, and the first female day (commerce) students were enrolled in 1960. At this time, the College offered a range of qualifications, from junior trade school certificates to diplomas. Trades continued to be an important focus, with annual "Craftsmanship in Industry" displays held during the 1950s and 60s.
In 1966, the College held Jubilee celebrations to commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the establishment of the Footscray Technical School. Various celebrations were held, including a Miss Jubilee competition, and a commemorative edition of the Blue and Gold, the school magazine, was published.
Footscray Technical College Jubilee Pennant, 1966
Throughout this time, Charles Howard Beanland remained Principal. After his retirement in 1967, he remained associated with the College, first as a part-time buildings officer, and also assisting the Council in interviewing potential successors for the Principal's job.
In 1968, following a major review of technical education and significant amendments to the Victoria Institute of Colleges Act, the Footscray Technical College was renamed the Footscray Institute of Technology.
The Archives holds the following records relating to Footscray Technical College: