Victoria University Archives: Footscray Technical College

In summary

Established: 1958

Ended: 1968, when it was renamed Footscray Institute of Technology

Located: Nicholson Street and Ballarat Road Campuses (now Footscray Nicholson and Footscray Park)


Footscray Technical College was established in 1958, when Footscray Technical School was renamed in line with Education Department reforms to technical schools. At this time, the Education Department created hierarchies of technical schools within designated regions. Footscray Technical College was designated as a 'feeder' school, meaning all technical schools in the region sent their senior students to FTC, and looked to the College for guidance and leadership.

Although the College continued with a focus on engineering and trades, courses were expanded in areas such as management and commerce, and the first female day (commerce) students were enrolled in 1960. At this time, the College offered a range of qualifications, from junior trade school certificates to diplomas. Trades continued to be an important focus, with annual "Craftsmanship in Industry" displays held during the 1950s and 60s.

In 1966, the College held Jubilee celebrations to commemorate the 50 year anniversary of the establishment of the Footscray Technical School. Various celebrations were held, including a Miss Jubilee competition, and a commemorative edition of the Blue and Gold, the school magazine, was published.

Footscray Technical College Jubilee Pennant, 1966

Throughout this time, Charles Howard Beanland remained Principal. After his retirement in 1967, he remained associated with the College, first as a part-time buildings officer, and also assisting the Council in interviewing potential successors for the Principal's job.

In 1968, following a major review of technical education and significant amendments to the Victoria Institute of Colleges Act, the Footscray Technical College was renamed the Footscray Institute of Technology.

Holdings in the archives

The Archives holds the following records relating to Footscray Technical College:

  • Council minutes, 1958-68
  • Board of Studies minutes, 1958-68
  • Prospectus, 1959-63
  • Handbooks, 1964-68
  • Audio interview with Charles Howard Beanland, Principal of Footscray Technical School and Footscray Technical College, interview conducted in 1987.
  • Blue and Gold school magazine, 1941-78, and printing blocks from photographs and drawings used in the Blue and Gold
  • Reports, inspection forms and related papers from Education Department inspections of Footscray Technical School, 1936-67
  • Principal's monthly reports to Footscray Technical School Council, c.1955-60
  • Examination results registers, c.1952-73
  • Log Book of Annual Events, 1916-65
  • Evening, Senior and Diploma Student Record Cards, 1918-65
  • Sporting trophies won by Footscray Technical School, c.1963-69
  • Course pamphlets and leaflets
  • Various Footscray Technical College sporting club photographs, c.1958-68
  • Student photograph albums, c.1959-61
  • Staff photographs
  • Materials relating to the Jubilee in 1966, including pennant, information and special edition of Blue and Gold
  • Papers and ledgers relating to various trusts and funds
  • Annual Apprentice Concert and Presentation of Prizes, 1955-68
  • Graduation programs, 1958-68
  • Staff newsletters
  • Various materials relating to the Footscray Technical School Students Representative Council (SRC), including newspapers, minute books and pamphlets, c. 1958-68
  • Reports, inspection forms and related papers from Education Department inspections of Footscray Technical School, 1936-67
  • Examination results registers, c.1952-73
  • Common Seal
  • Certificate, Diploma, Graduate Diploma and Degree Registers, 1958-68
  • Scholarship register, 1961-68