Victoria University Archives: Melbourne School of Hairdressing

History

The Melbourne School of Hairdressing was established in 1960 and operated until 1975 when it was renamed to Melbourne Technical College of Hairdressing (1975-1984). The aim of the School was to train apprentices for hairdressing trades. Throughout the years, the School continuously modernised in order to equip the buildings for hairdressing practical classes. Enrolments increased rapidly and more classrooms were added to meet the needs.

Holdings in the archives

The Archives holds the following records relating to the Melbourne School of Hairdressing:

  • Council minutes, 1960-79
  • Correspondence relating to the establishment and maintenance of the School, 1956-74
  • Examination results register 1970-79
  • Apprentice reports 1966-86
  • Course pamphlets and leaflets
  • History of the establishment of the Melbourne School of Hairdressing, 1966